EQTEC Iberia has completed work on the design, construction and start-up of the 1 MWe cogeneration plant installed inside the corrugated cardboard production factory of Cartonajes Izquierdo, SA, located in Soria (Spain). The plant started its commercial operation in November 2013.
The cogeneration project was constructed with an EPC contract. The cogeneration plant, with a 1 MWe natural gas generator set, produces electricity for use in the corrugated cardboard factory itself and electricity surplus is exported to the company's electrical grid.
The plant produces 600 kg/h of saturated steam at 16 bar through a new heat recovery steam generator to recover heat from exhaust gases of the engine, leading to significant savings in natural gas in the current steam boiler.
The plant produces 60 m3/h of hot water at 90 º C intended to cover the heating requirements. This hot water production will facilitate the expansion of heating zones to the factory and reduce energy consumption in the current boiler.
The cogeneration plant is composed of the following:
- Power generation plant: 1 CATERPILLAR generator set with a total capacity of 1000 KWe.
- Heat recovery system: heat recovery from the exhaust gases of the engines through a 600 Kg/h 16 bar (g) saturated steam boiler.
- Heat recovery system: the plant produces 60m3/h of hot water at 90 º C which is intended to cover the heating requirements.
- Interconnection electrical installations: 1.6 MVA, 13.2/0.4 KV transformer.
- Monitoring system: with EQTEC MONITORING PLATFORM (EMP).
EQTEC performs maintenance of the cogeneration plant and offers consultation to the client on the current regulations in relation to the power production special scheme.